Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battle Strategy FAQ - Tips, Observations, Theory of gameplay for Bloon Battles. WIN!

I've been researching more than playing this new interesting (still beta) game from the great folks at NinjaKiwi. I love BTD5 and this game shares the same towers but has a completely different style of gameplay. I had hear Rohan speak of this game as being only on invite to a few people and was immediately intrigued.

So after playing for a while and observing others strategies as well as trying out some of my own, I wish to write a detailed description of how to WIN at this amazing multiplayer game. Please feel free to add your own observations or to improve upon mine.

You should first have an understanding of the basic gameplay of Bloon Battles and a basic understanding of the Towers involved. If you don't have that, this FAQ won't be of much help to you.

---------------------------

There are 4 levels of towers, but winning doesn't necessarily mean having access to all of the towers. It's more about an overall battle strategy, which should be continually re-adjusted as quickly as possible.

- If you play only your own screen you cannot win the battle. You need to be evaluation what towers your opponent has on a round by round basis. For example if your opponent doesn't have anything to deal with Lead Balloons and those balloons just became available, you want to overwhelm him immediately with a full stack. Evaluate the progress of the first few bloons and if they are making it through past his defenses, keep sending more. Until he adjusts.

- Sometimes the shear Number of bloons you send at an opponent is enough to knock him out, it's not about the level of bloons but the volume to overwhelm his defenses.

- I have seen many people start sending bloons immediately out of the gate, at the beginning of round 2 as soon as they become available, this can sometimes be a good strategy, and can sometimes backfire. As you know, the more you send, the more money you make every 6 seconds. But sometimes setting up a good defense, getting a lot of money in the bank and then overwhelming your opponent with a bloon type he can not handle, as soon as it becomes available, is a better strategy.

- I have observed that the rounds do not actually "END" until the last bloon as goon through both peoples exits. This can be effective, in that you can SLOW Down the rounds to obtain the maximum amount of $$$ from each round. For example, I have let the entire first round of bloons go through my maze without even putting down a tower. I have been able to achieve 30-35 second rounds. Then I would immediately place my towers with enough money ready for a 3rd tier upgrade. Then I can focus on overwhelming my opponent. If you and your opponent both place towers at the beginning of the track and they take out all the 1st round bloons, you will find only 16-20 seconds have gone by. Resulting in $500 or more on that first round.

- Many times I like to wait until my defense is decent and then start queueing up bloons to my opponent and not letting off the gas. Each few slots that disappear, I replace with more bloons. This constant barrage of bloons is meant to intimidate the opponent, as well as keep him on his toes, having to build constantly himself to deal with the mess created. In return, I have found, a lot fewer bloons coming my way.

- Real knock out blows happen when the first rainbow bloons become available, along with Camo. Combine this with Regrow and send 8 or so of these bad boys at your opponent, and he won't stand a chance (most of the time). Other knockouts are a lot of Camo Lead bloons. If your opponent is not ready for leads, send them, but when he only has some Boomerang monkeys or Bomb towers, and no other way of combating a Camo Lead bloon, he'll be crushed very quickly. Don't forget how deadly MOAB's can be too, one game I sent 3 at an opponent and he got the first 2 but that 3rd one didn't get popped because his towers were taking out the first 2 MOABs. One of those suckers get's past him and it's over. Also if 1 Moab seems to be obliterated right away, a BFB isn't that much more in comparison, and will definitely overload his defenses. (We hope)

- Different strategies work better on different mazes. I have seen people succeed with a few of each tower, and I've seen people win with just 1 tower throughout the whole game. But the same strategy that works for one map won't necessarily work the same on the other. For example. Two of the maps have all bloons enter from the same area, so you can overload the front area if you need to with no worry of bloons coming in the opposite direction. Or perhaps it will give you more time to place spike factories towards the exit.

- I have found it doesn't matter how many bloons leak as long as it's less than or equal to 149. You can be in an all out battle with an opponent, knocking him down round after round, but not out. In the end all that matters is that Win, getting that 150th bloon past his defense.

- If my opponent has a particular stronger bloon covered with his defense, and sending it really isn't doing any good, I'll make sure to remove camo and regen, since now I am only going after the cash (temporarily). Then I'll send a whole bunch of lower bloons his way just so I can get some return on my investment while I wait for a stronger bloon type to become available to knock him out. So don't uselessly waste money on Camo or Regen if it's not getting you anywhere. But don't necessarily STOP sending bloons.

- If you get too focused on reacting to what your opponent has sent you, that you are not sending him bloons back (and make sure you learn your HOT Keys!), then you are going to die very quickly. I see this most often when a game is about to end. If I am being overwhelmed, I'll stop sending bloons at my opponent, and try to fix my situation. Whenever I do this, I start losing and FAST. Because now my opponent can focus all his attention on watching my side, and seeing exactly how well his onslaught is working, and making adjustments, and he can pour all his money into my defeat. So, the point of this tip is, NEVER STOP SENDING BLOONS! Even if it's only a few reds or blues. Once you start you really can't stop sending bloons or it will be over. Ok enough said.

- Most effective towers that I have observed (especially in early gameplay) are as follows.

2/3 Boomerang Thrower. This tower will take out a massive amount of bloons for many rounds. Useless against camo of course, but I've won entire battles with only two 2/3 boomerangs.

3/2 Monkey Apprentice. This towers lightning attack can take out large groups of bloons, or at least knock them down a peg or two. Also most effective with 2 of them.

(I'll add more to this list, but this towers are overall very effective).

- Towers that I believe need to be investigated more.

Glue gunners and Ice Towers. If rounds don't end until the last bloon is popped or has gone through your exit, perhaps these can be used separately or in conjunction to slow down the rounds. Slowing down a round can be very useful in gathering a large amount of money before your opponent can send many bloons at you. Is this a sure fire way to win? No, because your opponent get's money each time you do too, but if you can use your money more effectively as I have outlined above, perhaps you can win more battles too.

Okay that's all for now but I'm bookmarking this thread and will continue to post my observations and tips and strategies. I hope you post yours too.
    Rohan Sharpe Anforth is my hero!
    -------------------------------------------------
    BTD5 (Completed all levels)
    SAS (Completed all levels bronze/silver/gold)
    Battle Panic (Lacking a 3 star on 1 nightmare level to get a perfect, someone help!)
    Battle Blocks (Done, I hate this game, glad I never have to play it again)

Rohaninator Moderator Rohan Sharpe Anforth's Avatar
    I'm going to watch this thread with interest.
    Ninja Kiwi's Rohaninator ----- Official Forum Rules [My Twitch name: Rohan_spibo]
    First Level 35, Ninja Lord----- Recommended Links -----
    Quote Originally Posted by karibola View Post
    How dare they make achievements that force you, to you know, achieve something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rohan Sharpe Anforth View Post
    I'm going to watch this thread with interest.
    Thanks Rohan. I wasn't sure if I should post in someone elses thread and read all the other theories/faq's but I felt I had my own unique ideas and insights and that was enough to make a thread.

What I find most interesting about Bloon Battles is that there seem to be so many different ways to win. It's fascinating to say the least.
    Battle Panic (Lacking a 3 star on 1 nightmare level to get a perfect, someone help!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zach0101 View Post
    Thanks Rohan. I wasn't sure if I should post in someone elses thread and read all the other theories/faq's but I felt I had my own unique ideas and insights and that was enough to make a thread.

What I find most interesting about Bloon Battles is that there seem to be so many different ways to win. It's fascinating to say the least.
    Yea, i'm looking forward to more game modes :3
    Well, this seems like some useful stuff to read, so i'm going to link it into the General Info Thread if that's ok with you.
    Ninja Kiwi's Rohaninator ----- Official Forum Rules [My Twitch name: Rohan_spibo]

"3/2 Monkey Apprentice. This towers lightning attack can take out large groups of bloons, or at least knock them down a peg or two. Also most effective with 2 of them."

Do you mean 2/2 Apprentices? (2/2 also have lightning, 2/3 seems to be used more often)
    BTD5 Rank 86 | Awesome Points: 11455
    BTD4 100% Complete | BTD5 almost 100% Complete (Fanatic) | BSM2 100% Complete | BTDB 100% Complete
    Favourite Towers: Ninjas, Boomers and Supers
    Unspoppable earned: 20/08/13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragomaniaco
    Not every monkey has the patience of an orangutan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rohan Sharpe Anforth View Post
    Yea, i'm looking forward to more game modes :3
    Well, this seems like some useful stuff to read, so i'm going to link it into the General Info Thread if that's ok with you.
    Of course. Link away.

- - - - - post merge - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SW7951 View Post
    "3/2 Monkey Apprentice. This towers lightning attack can take out large groups of bloons, or at least knock them down a peg or two. Also most effective with 2 of them."

Do you mean 2/2 Apprentices? (2/2 also have lightning, 2/3 seems to be used more often)
    Yes I mean 2/2. Sorry about that. You're right it's that second upgrade that is lightning.

You're right it's that second upgrade that is lightning.
    TBH i've always wondered about that. Lightning just 'seems' like a level 3 or 4 upgrade to me. I mean, it doesn't have the power that it should for that tier of upgrade, but it seems more powerful a part of a storm then wind... It would make more sense for it to be more powerful, but the 4th upgrade. (but then the other 2 would be pushed down and things would get weird so... bleh.)

I too will note this thread. Some good points here Zach. Though your comments are obviously more geared towards those who simply want to "win" versus those who want to go deeper into the game [like me].

btw, have we met on BTDB yet? I seem to recall a couple matches with you. However, after reading your thoughts here, I do not recall us playing neutral matches, which is what I ALWAYS strive for.

The big issue seems to be people who are not familiar with the income system in BTDB. These people completely mistake my motivations - I am not looking to wipe people out by sending bloons, but simply to build income. If they watch carefully my send patterns, they will see I simply escalate on the top row, maxing out with black bloons. The inexperienced players [or those simply more aggressive ones] see this escalation as an effort to wipe them out.

Obviously this is not the case. The subtleties are lost on them unfortunately. Just because I send an opponent an endless stream of red bloons early does not mean I want to wipe you out - I do it because they can handle it easily with 2/3 Boomer. I even try and send "signals" to the other player with the bloon types I deploy - many times, when I can easily queue up a full serving of top row blacks, I will instead send out weaker bloons like greens.

Again, the subtleties are lost on so many people....

Some specific comments for you:
    - the Ice/Glue combo is really not workable in BTDB, at least not that I have found, certainly not for early-mid game. People will simply see this as a "weakness" and those quick-draw mooks will immediately spam camos. Sad, because I am a big fan of this combo. But until I see viable strats using this combo, I will pass;

- Your observation of the need to watch the opponent's screen is critical, though we are doing it probably for different reasons. I spend probably 75% of the time watching my opponent's screen. Why? Because I am INCOME Building only, not attacking and actually take great care to send only those top row bloons they can handle, all in an effort to try and get quality neutral games.

But for those who simply want to "win", yes, essential to watch the other side.

- Good comments about the need to balance defense and offense - this is indeed critical for BTDB.

cheers,
    -les
    Level 36: Lord Of Fire| XP Rank: ~96.6 | NK AwesomePoints: 11675 [BTD5 games]
    Personal Bests: 317 Jungle Apop, 291 Runway Apop, 252 Lava Apop
    Battles #2 All-Time \
    Battles v1.0 #1 All-Time High-Round [w/starercube] - r136
    Co-Op #1 All-Time High-Round [w/Crushbeast] - r221

Quote Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
    I too will note this thread. Some good points here Zach. Though your comments are obviously more geared towards those who simply want to "win" versus those who want to go deeper into the game [like me].

btw, have we met on BTDB yet? I seem to recall a couple matches with you. However, after reading your thoughts here, I do not recall us playing neutral matches, which is what I ALWAYS strive for.

The big issue seems to be people who are not familiar with the income system in BTDB. These people completely mistake my motivations - I am not looking to wipe people out by sending bloons, but simply to build income. If they watch carefully my send patterns, they will see I simply escalate on the top row, maxing out with black bloons. The inexperienced players [or those simply more aggressive ones] see this escalation as an effort to wipe them out.

Obviously this is not the case. The subtleties are lost on them unfortunately. Just because I send an opponent an endless stream of red bloons early does not mean I want to wipe you out - I do it because they can handle it easily with 2/3 Boomer. I even try and send "signals" to the other player with the bloon types I deploy - many times, when I can easily queue up a full serving of top row blacks, I will instead send out weaker bloons like greens.

Again, the subtleties are lost on so many people....

Some specific comments for you:
    - the Ice/Glue combo is really not workable in BTDB, at least not that I have found, certainly not for early-mid game. People will simply see this as a "weakness" and those quick-draw mooks will immediately spam camos. Sad, because I am a big fan of this combo. But until I see viable strats using this combo, I will pass;

- Your observation of the need to watch the opponent's screen is critical, though we are doing it probably for different reasons. I spend probably 75% of the time watching my opponent's screen. Why? Because I am INCOME Building only, not attacking and actually take great care to send only those top row bloons they can handle, all in an effort to try and get quality neutral games.

But for those who simply want to "win", yes, essential to watch the other side.

- Good comments about the need to balance defense and offense - this is indeed critical for BTDB.

cheers,
    -les
    Yes we've played a few matches, I beat you I think 2 out of 3. Not that I care, as I said I'm more interested in trying different strategies on different maps. It was quite a match though, I think you even saw me beat you with some of the advice I gave in this faq. And no I do not strive for equal, I play to win. Perhaps that is why you lost (if that matters to you, although it appears it does not). Unlike traditional BTD games, where the higher the level you get the better you do, I see this as a "Knockout" type game where you are constantly trying to beat your opponent as quickly as possible. Sure it is interesting to get into some of the higher levels, but does it help? Does it do anything? As far as I can tell only wins count in this game.

Finally, I really do appreciate a neutrally based game. But considering both opponents start equal at round 1, only choosing between 4 towers and having the same amount of starting cash, I see this more like a game of Chess than ANY OTHER game I have EVER Played. Opponents start out equally, and the goal is to get the upper hand, to take out more of your opponent than they take out of you. When you lose 150 is when you have been checkmated. The Neutrality starts at the first round but stops there.

If you are playing for neutrality, you are playing for a draw. (In chess terms). Now although I saw an interesting episode of Star Trek the Next Generation where Data won a game by seeking a "Draw" instead of trying to "Win", this strategy is actually very poor in a game of chess, where a skilled opponent will meet your mutual escalation but then supercede you to win the game. I guess I cannot help but draw analogies to Chess because I love Chess so much, and see so much of Chess in the gameplay of Bloon Battles.

Yes we've played a few matches, I beat you I think 2 out of 3. Not that I care, as I said I'm more interested in trying different strategies on different maps. It was quite a match though, I think you even saw me beat you with some of the advice I gave in this faq. And no I do not strive for equal, I play to win. Perhaps that is why you lost (if that matters to you, although it appears it does not). Unlike traditional BTD games, where the higher the level you get the better you do, I see this as a "Knockout" type game where you are constantly trying to beat your opponent as quickly as possible. Sure it is interesting to get into some of the higher levels, but does it help? Does it do anything? As far as I can tell only wins count in this game.

Finally, I really do appreciate a neutrally based game. But considering both opponents start equal at round 1, only choosing between 4 towers and having the same amount of starting cash, I see this more like a game of Chess than ANY OTHER game I have EVER Played. Opponents start out equally, and the goal is to get the upper hand, to take out more of your opponent than they take out of you. When you lose 150 is when you have been checkmated. The Neutrality starts at the first round but stops there.

If you are playing for neutrality, you are playing for a draw. (In chess terms). Now although I saw an interesting episode of Star Trek the Next Generation where Data won a game by seeking a "Draw" instead of trying to "Win", this strategy is actually very poor in a game of chess, where a skilled opponent will meet your mutual escalation but then supercede you to win the game. I guess I cannot help but draw analogies to Chess because I love Chess so much, and see so much of Chess in the gameplay of Bloon Battles.
    lol...You're absolutely correct in one area: BTDB does have the possibility of being more "chess-like". However, while I have no issue with competition in general [I have been a competitive pool player and tennis player], the far more satisfying games are the ones that draw out into lengthier matches.

My issue [not really a complaint, because I understand the nature of the beast that is BTDB], is that right now we are in BETA. I am just surprised [and disappointed] that more folks don't want to see HIGHER LEVELS [beyond round 30] in the game. Instead, their strategies and tactics are so quick-draw focused.

Yes, you are correct - I don't care whether I win or lose.

For my part I am trying to simultaneously work out decent strategies and also really to see what more advanced levels of the game looks like.

My perspective is simply this: BTDB CAN be chess. But to me, 90% of the players are playing checkers. I am talking about the ones that simply just save up for the MOAB on round 17. Or those that prematurely hit the camo/regen buttons. What kind of "quality" strategy is that?

It's fine if they want to play that way - it IS a competitive game.

But I just have zero interest in these kinds of games. Which is probably why I will only play private matches if this ever gets implemented.
    Last edited by lestatar; 12-11-2012 at 09:54 AM.
    Level 36: Lord Of Fire| XP Rank: ~96.6 | NK AwesomePoints: 11675 [BTD5 games]
    Personal Bests: 317 Jungle Apop, 291 Runway Apop, 252 Lava Apop
    Battles #2 All-Time \
    Battles v1.0 #1 All-Time High-Round [w/starercube] - r136
    Co-Op #1 All-Time High-Round [w/Crushbeast] - r221