Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Ninjas aren't so ninja: over-rated towers and why I don't use them

Some of the most popular towers are ninjas and boomerangs. I don't use them much. What do these towers do for me that other towers can't? Dartlings are at least fun to aim. Bomb towers can solo up to level 101, albeit with a few early leaks; and they find their niche in deflation and wizard lord. And there are all sorts of DC's that force you to use certain towers; but these challenges are arbitrary and mostly pointless; their descriptions don't tell you the whole truth, and they often prohibit road items without any logical reason.

When it comes to beating tracks in normal modes, there are only a few towers that I really need, because I have a strategy that beats them all, unless they are expert or extreme. In the latter case, I lose no matter what I do unless I use premiums. But premiums just turn expert tracks into beginner and extreme into intermediate; that's all.

Sure, one ninja could get me to round ten on any easy track, but on Death Valley, it collapses by round 3. Again, I could probably solo with ninjas on any easy track, but what't the point? On Death Valley, I cannot upgrade the ninjas fast enough and die on round 35.

Boomers are cheaper than ninjas and don't need to be upgraded to throw curved shots, but they can't detect camo. Besides, there are never enough bloons to reach their pop limit until round 30, and then you can't afford enough of them. They leak bloons, too. Glaive lords aren't affordable until round 50, and then I'd just as well get a robo monkey for the win; their only niche is to beat "There Can Only Be One".

Most upgrades for the spike factory aren't needed. Once I get it to 1/1, it is enough to support my glue gunner and apprentice. It is fun to try to solo with spike factories, but they can't get me farther than 76. As I have said, ten spike storms can easily get owned by 76 if you don't know what you're up for, and even if you make it past, 79 will certainly kill you; this strategy was tested on Space Trucking, which is the best track for that strategy. Spiked balls do make an interesting alternative to 0/0 super monkey for trying to beat apop, which at least works for me; even then, I eventually have to sell it for the 2/3 super.

Dart monkey doesn't have to be anything but 0/0; splodey darts makes even that OP for a long time. Triple darts can pop three layer off of pinks, but so can three dart monkeys for less money.

Even bomb tower is outclassed by glue gunner and apprentice. In BTD4, they were the best option for wave 33, because the camo were 4 times as strong as they are now, and ten times more dense; and with one road spike you could start a chain reaction; not so any more. The sun god has received so much of a buff that moab maulers are obsolete.

In short, there is one strategy that works well for me: 2 dart monkeys, spike factory, apprentice, glue gunner, and robo for the win. Any thing outside that strategy doesn't do any better. If it doesn't work on a difficult track, nothing ever will.

And what about the guides for these tracks? Well, I've seen several guides for beating Castle. Most of them are outdated. The few that are current find some niche uses for dartling guns and ice towers for specific rounds. One of them makes do with the nerfed dragon's breath. They nearly all use spike factories and lots of dart monkeys, some of them upgraded to 2/3. None of them use ninjas.
    Last edited by jasonc65; 09-17-2012 at 01:54 AM.
    You got a new tower!
    Banana Farm
    Gives additional cash

Banana farms are a very important tower. Try to have at least three of them by level 20.

Where the stars at night are dull and dim. (SpongeBob reference)
    You didn't say why you don't use Tack Shooters
    P-P-P-Potato Masher!!!

Those aren't over-rated.
    I post in pink. Because I like the color.
    There's a game called Subway Panic! in the Forum Games. It's awesome, check it out!
    Accepted DCs: E.A.S.Y., Field Defense (IDK why I keep this here but whatever)

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Dang View Post
    Those aren't over-rated.
    *Sigh* When a person tries to make a funny you should laugh...
    P-P-P-Potato Masher!!!

Basically, tack shooters are a substitute for the dart monkey. They don't do any better or worse.
    You got a new tower!
    Banana Farm
    Gives additional cash

Banana farms are a very important tower. Try to have at least three of them by level 20.

Okay, Boomers over-rated?

I agree with the Glaive Lord part, but Bionic Boomer no.

I dare you to use MIB CTA + Turbo Charge + Double Ranga + Tier 3 Specialty + Overclock x3.

Use it on 76.

Watch what happens.

A Bionic Boomer + Specialty can solo till 39, if you use Road Spikes on the Camo Rounds, and two 0/0 Boomers + Specialty can solo till 28 using Road Spikes.
    Returned after a period of time.

Defending Al's custom chippers from bloons
    How dare you accuse boomerang monkeys! (actually ninja's are a bit over rated.)
    I'm dart master, the triple chipper!

What will a bionic boomer do for me that other towers won't. Nothing. On Death Valley, I can't afford them. I die with only 2/2 boomers and wave 33 owns me. On apop, I go straight for the robo, using 0/0 super + 0/1 village as a stepping stone. On Monkey Lane Hard, I have no need for it.
    You got a new tower!
    Banana Farm
    Gives additional cash

Quote Originally Posted by jasonc65 View Post
    What will a bionic boomer do for me that other towers won't. Nothing. On Death Valley, I can't afford them. I die with only 2/2 boomers and wave 33 owns me. On apop, I go straight for the robo, using 0/0 super + 0/1 village as a stepping stone. On Monkey Lane Hard, I have no need for it.
    Round 33: Ever heard of Road Spikes?
    Apopalypse: Boomerangs are a great tower for Apopalypse.
    Monkey Lane Hard: Yeah I can understand that.

Seriously? You use 2/2 Boomers?

What you do is upgrade to 0/3 first.

And you can't afford Bionic Boomer on Death Valley?

How do you beat it if you can't even get 2000 cash? O_O
    Returned after a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Archer View Post
    Round 33: Ever heard of Road Spikes?
    Apopalypse: Boomerangs are a great tower for Apopalypse.
    Monkey Lane Hard: Yeah I can understand that.

Seriously? You use 2/2 Boomers?

What you do is upgrade to 0/3 first.

And you can't afford Bionic Boomer on Death Valley?

How do you beat it if you can't even get 2000 cash? O_O
    And people get mad at me for critisizing what they do with Tack Shooters...
    P-P-P-Potato Masher!!!